Sushi from Ootoya Coff Central
TO MAKE SUSHI RICE & SUSHI VINEGAR
1. Combine 300 grams of rice and 300ml of water and put in a rice cooker for 35 minutes.
2. While the rice is cooking you can prepare your sushi vinegar. The sushi vinegar adds flavour to the sushi.
3. For sushi vinegar use 30ml vinegar, 30 grams of sugar and 5 grams of salt and mix until dissolved. This will take a minute or two.
4. When the steamed rice is done, place it into a mixing bowl and add your homemade sushi vinegar by folding it gently into the rice for a few minutes. Then rest the rice for a few minutes so it can cool slightly. You’re now ready to make your sushi roll!
TO MAKE A SUSHI ROLL
1. Use nori (seaweed paper) in a half size
2. Spread the sticky rice over the nori in an even layer leaving a 1cm border
3. Add filling: fresh salmon, tuna or teriyaki chicken and lay the filling out evenly in a 1cm thick line in the middle of the rice
4. Fold in the edge with the rice, leaving the 1cm gap exposed, then fold over completely
5. Gently push on the roll to even it out and firm up the hold
6. Cut roll into halves, then quarters, then eighths and serve
For ease and keeping the right shape, Koo recommends using a bamboo mat. With such sticky rice, he also suggests using gloves and spraying them with a little oil first. Chef Koo has kindly made a quick video for Coastbeat too – sushi in 90 seconds! Watch it here.
For more info on Ootoya head to this interview with the Chefs.