Odd + Quirky Facts on… Coffs Harbour
1. The Solitary Islands are home to the southern-most coral reefs in the world.
2. The regional airport located near Boambee is the largest airport outside a metropolitan area in Australia.
3. In an attempt to make traffic stop by his roadside banana stall in 1964, John Landi invented a gigantic banana construction with the help of engineer Alan Chapman. Coffs became known as home to The Big Banana and Australia’s first ‘big thing’.
4. The local economy used to rely on banana harvesting but has since been taken over by blueberries, fishing and tourism.
5. Coffs boasts one of the most temperate climates in the whole of Australia and is often included in ‘best places to retire’ surveys.