Bee Natural with Honey and other Bee Products from Local Businesses
We have been aware of the health benefits of bee products for centuries. Even the ancient Egyptians knew about the healing properties of bee pollen and bee nectar. For example, our ancestors used honey or propolis, a type of bee resin, to heal wounds.
It was the discovery of penicillin and other medications that perhaps made these products irrelevant to a certain extent. However, with the emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, scientists have started re-examining the use of bee products that have strong antibacterial activity, such as honey and propolis.
So, if you would like to switch to a healthier and more natural lifestyle, take a look at some of the health benefits of the most common bee products, as well as where you can find these locally.
The most common bee product is, of course, honey! Real raw honey has multiple and scientifically proven health benefits. Some of these valuable properties are:
- Antibacterial action
- Wound-healing effects
- Dietary antioxidants
- Anti-inflammatory effects
A curious fact is also that quality raw honey is so rich in enzymes that it is the only food on the planet that never spoils.
Propolis is a product with powerful healing qualities. It is considered a “natural antibiotic” due to its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antifungal properties. Additionally, it has been reported to offer multiple health benefits related to gastrointestinal disorders, allergies, as well as dermatological issues, among others.
In addition to the health benefits, we should remember that some bee products are an important part of our efforts to combat climate change. Beeswax wraps, for example, are the environmentally-friendly alternative to cling wrap and single-use plastic. They are reusable, washable, and antibacterial; so really, why not use them?
Local suppliers of bee products
Please remember to support local businesses and beekeepers. Below you will find just a few of the locally available products and suppliers. If you would like to be added to this list, get in touch!
Reusable Beeswax from GoVita
Keep your food fresh for longer with GoVita Reusable Beeswax. Available in different sizes and colours.
Pure Bonville Honey from Fresco
This product contains 100%, pure honey that is coarse strained to retain its natural qualities.
Local, Raw, and Real – Mt. Coramba Orara Valley Honey from Fresco
This raw honey is 100% Australian blend from the abundant native honey flora in Mt. Coramba, Orara Valley.
- The Beekeper: a family-owned business in Port Macquarie.
- Organics MattR: stock a full range of Amber Drop Honey such as ginger, chilli, coconut and with honeycomb included – yum!
- Find them both at the Real Food Markets outside Port Central every Tuesday between 12 and 6pm.
- Norco Woolgoolga
- Our friends from Groundearth Woolgoolga who have shared with us one of the most sought-after recipes on our website!
- Nourished Earth in Moonee Beach
- Bluebottles Brasserie in Woolgoolga
- Sunken Chip in Sandy Beach
- After Isolation: A New Appreciation For All The North Coast Has To Offer
- New smiles from the Coastbeat Community
- Rescuing Marine Creatures Great and Small
- Support the North Coast’s Unique Species on World Turtle Day
- Tasty M.O.S.S. Chicken Thighs and Salad Recipe
- Bee Natural with Honey and other Bee Products from Local Businesses
- Fun and Bee-zarre Facts About Australian Native Bees